Sunday, September 11, 2011

In an Instant

Often times we encounter events that are life changing.  Most of the life changes I have had have been planned or happened over time, like having a baby, getting married, graduating from school, etc.  I can't think of a time where in an "instant" something in my life has changed forever.  This happened to me last weekend.  And I need to say while this "instant" has changed a part of my life forever, it doesn't hold a candle to real tragedy.  I know there could be a lot worse "instants." 

So......to begin with.  Look at this cute picture.  Notice her sweet, beautiful smile.  This is the last of it's kind...... 

Last Friday we packed up to go camping, arrived just before dark and rushed to put up two tents before it was pitch dark.  We got everything set up and I decided to run up to the park check-in and register our arrival.  About 15 minutes later I headed back to camp.  This was when I learned of the "instant".  "Lilly lost her tooth" I was told as I saw everyone huddled around her and she was cuddled in her Kelly's (a good friend) arms.   After some gentle gum checking and a flashlight search for the tooth on the ground, we luckily found it didn't break or shove back in - it just popped right out, nice and clean and bloody enough to freak her brother out.
(Tooth is in my hand)
 Now you may think this is a strange "instant", but as I registered what was said and saw that she was "okish", I realized that the little two year old smile I love was forever lost, knocked out by a (thankfully) cold fire ring after a run in the dark.

See what I mean?  A mother's instant worry, still a face I love, but that sweet smile...........luckily Bella drew us a picture......
That's not going to give a mother nightmares........A few days later though, the swelling has gone down.

 Still a cute smile and easy to love, but my two year old will have a six year old smile for the next 4 or so years.  In an "instant" that little girl smile was forever changed, but my prayers include a big and repetitive thank you that my "instant" was not as bad as it could have been.  She's still a stinking cute little girl.

2 comments:

  1. The picture Bella drew is priceless. Poor baby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The picture of her little swollen mouth makes me sad. She is so cute that the tooth is kind of just a side note:) Bella did draw a memorable picture - that's what sisters are for!

    ReplyDelete